Higher Education Partnerships

Winona Area Public Schools is committed to developing and supporting the collaboration between WAPS and institutes of higher education.  This includes partnerships, such as; student teaching, practicum experiences, clinical experiences, pre-service teachers experiences, and experiences connected to educational methods courses, to name a few. These partnerships and collaborations are crucial to the success of our students. 

We will continue to seek new partners, and renew collaboration with our current partners, to align programs and services and ensure that all students are college and career ready.  

We look forward to working with you!
FAQ’s about Higher Education Partnerships
What does an Approved Partnership mean?
Approved Partnerships are the district’s process for ensuring that common standards are consistently applied for all potential partners. To have an Approved Partnership means that you have established a formal relationship with the Winona Area Public Schools as either a provider of services or programming.
How is a Partnership different from Volunteering?
Volunteers help with specific events, such as a field trip or special projects in the classroom, and are coordinated through the school’s PTA or the classroom teacher. Volunteers usually have a relationship with a child in the classroom (parent/guardian, sibling, grandparent, etc) but it is not required. If you are a pre-service teaching candidate you must work through your organization for an approved partnership. Active participation in the class is mandatory; we do not provide observation experiences.
What is the difference between placement of student teaching candidates and pre-service teaching experiences?
In order to place student teachers, your institution must have a contract in place that is approved by the WAPS Board of Education. For a list of active student teaching contracts, click the link located on the left side of this webpage.
What is the process for students in specific programs (counseling, school psychologist internships, school social work internships)?
Students in a master’s degree program, who are seeking an internship in WAPS, must have a completed Partnership Form in place prior to the internship experience starting.
If an institute of higher education has the same program in multiple WAPS schools, does a separate program information form need to be completed for each school? 
No; only one program information form needs to be submitted.  If a College/Institution has multiple programs to offer, then a separate form needs to be completed for each different program. 
Can the program start in the school before the partnership is approved?
Programs are not allowed to begin until the partnership is approved by WAPS. For information and to see a flow chart of the WAPS Partnership Process, click link located on the left side of this webpage.
Do I need a background check?
People who are working in a partnership with students require a background check. Verification of a completed background check is the responsibility of the partnering organization.
Can I have access to WAPS Google Domain and/or student data?
Through the course of the partnership it may be necessary for you to have access to using the WAPS Google Domain (email, drive, etc) and/or live and real time student data. Student Teachers/Practicum Students/Interns, may access student information and/or the WAPS Google Domain upon completing the Data Access Request Form. Click the link on the link below to access the Form.
Do I need to have liability insurance?
Winona Area Public Schools requires commercial general liability insurance if a Partner will be working with students unsupervised. Having this insurance means that a Partner is adequately protected in the case of accidents or negligence.
Is there an orientation?
Once the partnership is scheduled, individuals must check in with the building/program administrator to complete any required paperwork. This will include a brief orientation to review necessary information.

Who can I contact for more information higher education partnerships?
WAPS Partnership Liaison Kelly Halvorsen  

FAQ's About WAPS Security

What is the RAPTOR system?
RAPTOR is a visitor registration system that enhances school security by reading visitor drivers’ licenses, comparing information to a sex offender database, alerting building administrators if a match is found, then (assuming no match was made) printing a visitor badge that includes a photo.
Why is WAPS using this system?
Safety of our students is our highest priority. Raptor will provide a consistent system to track visitors and volunteers while keeping away people who present a danger to students and staff members. The system quickly prints visitor badges that include a photo, the name of the visitor, time and date.
What about University Student Teachers and Other University Students assigned to District Buildings Under District Partnership Agreements?
Student teachers will enter the building as building staff and must wear a university photo ID at all times. Other University students working in district buildings under Partnership Agreements should sign in and out and wear a picture ID badge issued by the University. If the University student does not have a photo ID issued by the University they will need to wear a Raptor visitor badge.